Friday, May 19, 2017

I sacked my hairdresser

I've been going to Hairy Mary for about three years now. Despite the fact that having a conversation with her does my head in (she's scatty, very scatty, but lovable), her work on my hair was usually pretty good.

Usually.

Over the last year I've come to have a few reservations about her, however.  When she put foils in, she didn't really do them close enough to the scalp. Of course I wouldn't expect her to get too close - nobody wants to be burned by bleach - but some of them looked a little grown out when she'd put them in.

Then let's talk style. 18 months ago I went from a bob to a funky shorter bedhead cut, done with a razor. All was good for about a year, although it did look a bit too wispy on the ends from time to time. My hair is fine and I don't have a great deal of it, so I loathe the wispy look.

For the last two visits I asked her specifically not to thin out the ends too much, to make them chunkier and less wispy.

Sadly, she ignored me. Too busy talking about sixteen things at once to remember what I'd asked. When the sun is behind me you can see through the ends, and I hate that.

So a month ago I took my head to a hairdresser a short walk from where I live. More expensive, which is a shame, but the foils look sharp and she's helping me thicken the ends up and grow the layers out somewhat. I quite like a few freehand-cut layers for movement, but at the moment my hair has been so heavily layered by Hairy Mary I feel as if I should be wearing hats 24/7 until it grows out.

I don't know how to tell Hairy Mary she's been dumped. I suppose I simply don't. She'll figure out I'm just not going to her place any more. I can't rave about my new hairdresser on Facebook as Hairy Mary is a Facebook friend of mine. I don't want to hurt her feelings.

How many of you have told your hairdresser you're quitting them? Or have you simply jumped ship and gone somewhere else?

2 comments:

  1. Is she a real friend or a FB friend? If not a real friend then un-friend her. She won't know; I've been un-friended and I didn't know. (I thought that person had deleted her account. She was off sick and I looked at her page occasionally. Turns out she wasn't that sick...and thought I was snooping. I wasn't but I guess she thought I'd tell people where she worked But I digress. )
    So, basically your 'friendship' can be over if you like.
    Success to you and congrats on the new hairdresser. I found a new one a little over a year ago and she's great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sox, she's sort of a friend. I know her through my business network, which makes it a little difficult. I see her quite often at events and she knows a lot of people I know in the same business community. Thanks for reading and commenting! Glad you got a new one too!

      Delete